The meeting video has been split into 8 parts below. If you scroll to the bottom, you can access the agenda, pre-reading and useful links.
Agenda for the meeting this evening, hosted by Dr Siva, Chief Mentor for schools:
– Aims and objectives of the VMS
– Recap of interview questions discussed on WhatsApp Group
– Usage of WhatsApp Group
-Answering other questions that came up this week on the WhatsApp
– some Awards confusion – Dr Kennedy (Chief Mentor of Awards) to clarify
– I have an interest in business, but I want to be a doctor.
– Where can you look for work experience and volunteering opportunities now during lockdown
Here are the links to the blogs you should have read prior to the meeting for discussion:
- How To Write An Application Form And Get Noticed
- Want to save the NHS? Improve your leadership skills
- What is the UCAT and what should I be doing now to prepare?
Useful Resources to check out
There were a lot of links posted on the group this week, some of them are useful, some maybe not as useful but here are a list of the important ones.
Most important ones to check out this week:
- How to become a doctor podcast series by Scholars Lucy and Ciara
- Medicine Awards Programme
- Student Committee Application Form
- Covid-19 Mission Volunteering Opportunity
- National Medical Essay Competition
- Brighton and Sussex Virtual Work Experience
- GP online Work Experience by the Royal College of General Practitioners
If you have some time there were some interesting webinars taking place this week. But please bear in mind that they do ask for you to input details and sign up for paid for items etc:
Just a note about this webinar – the company that produced this webinar offers paid for work experience courses. This is something that you should not be paying for. So be careful not to commit to something like this because medical schools want to see you organising your own work experience and volunteering placements. They also frown upon international placements – this has also been mentioned in the medical schools council guidance document on work experience which you can check out here: Medical Schools Council Work Experience Info Sheet
Please note, that Medic Mentor do not endorse this company’s resources. They do offer UCAT courses too which you can sign up to, which is entirely your decision, you do not have to.